Friday, May 6, 2011

NT Scan

Ok so it has been forever since I posted. I am just so worried that something will happen so if I don't mention that baby it is safe. Dumb I know.

So we had the NT Scan (Nuchal Translucensy Scan). It tests for Down Syndrome, Trisomy 13 & 18. They do an ultrasound to measure the fold at the back of the fetus' neck. Well, apparently we have a lazy gummi bear in there! Baby did NOT want to turn around. He was facing my back and we needed a profile shot. It was supposed to be a 30 minute ultrasound. After the first hour, they had us get up walk, get something to eat and drink (OJ and a rice krispie treat, I tried loading up on sugar to kick that baby's butt into gear!). We go back up, and for the next hour, they try some more. And by try, I mean, for two hours, I was pushed on. Think what it would look like if you tried bouncing a bouncy ball on a mold of jello. Yup, squishes, pokes, prodes, evilness. At one point, I felt the baby move, she was pushing so hard on him! Finally, just when they were about to give up, he turned! The fold was measured at an avg of 1.7, anything below 3.0 is good! And they saw the nose bone, which also helps prove that there is no defects.

After the very long u/s, they prick my finger and take 5 droplets of blood to run bloodtests for. A week later they called me and said we have a 1/10000 chance for these defects. Which basically means out of 10000 people 9999 will not have a baby with DS or Trisomy. Basically it is as negative as it gets! Yay!

OH and I keep saying He because we were told 80% chance its a boy. Meaning, if the genitals have finished forming by that point we got a tiny boy in there! We will find out for sure June 20. Now its off to decide on a boy name.

No comments:

Post a Comment